The Rise of Apps Culture...
The gold rush is on! Ask any computer programmer today where they see immediate entrepreneurial opportunity, and the answer is almost certainly... "in apps". That's where all of the energy in the industry currently resides.
A new report by the Pew Internet & American Life Project illustrates the growing market for apps. A few stats worth noting...
- 82% of American adults have cell phones, and 23% now live in a household that has a cell phone but no landline phone.
- Among those with cell phones, 43% have cell phones with apps, but only two-thirds of those who have apps actually use them.
NOTE: This is a recurring theme in the report. There is still a gap between people having apps versus people actually using apps.
- 29% of cell phone users have downloaded an app to their phone, while 38% have purchased a phone with preloaded apps.
- One in ten adult cell phone users (10%) had downloaded an app in the past week; 20% of cell phone users under age 30 download apps this frequently.
- One in eight adult cell phone users (13%) has paid to download an app.
- Among cell phone users with apps, the average adult has 18 apps on his or her phone.
Furthermore, apps continue to rank low on the list of non-voice cell phone activities...
|Take a picture||76%|
|Access the internet||38%|
|Record a video||34%|
So we can see that, not only is the market for apps growing rapidly (this segment of the industry basically did not exist two years ago), but the market still has plenty of room for future growth. It clearly remains in - that phrase which entrepreneurs so cherish - its "embryonic stage".