Friday, October 03, 2008

Hacking the V.P. Debate on Twitter...

When last night's Vice Presidential debate was finished, the Nerfherder Gal noticed how many of her Facebook friends reflected their observations in their status messages. For example, we got a big kick out of her cousin Naomi using her status message to repeat Sarah Palin's unintentionally hysterical line, "A big shout-out to all those 3rd-graders watching the debate!!!".

But then I told the Nerfherder Gal that if she was getting a kick out of this, she ought to go to Twitter, which was trying to "Hack The Debate". People watching the V.P. candidates last night were commenting in real-time on Twitter, and following the entire #current conversation was addictive, to say the least. Read the entire stream and see for yourself, but some personal highlights of people's tweets include...

  • lisahubbert - Palin talks in run on sentences. My God woman, have you been pregnant so long you don't know what a period is?

  • SistersTalk - Gotta use those kids as props! Palin's baby is sleeping. That child should be at home with a sitter and in bed.

  • CXI - I think we can all agree, that Home Depot came out the winner here tonight!

  • nellstid - This discussion about universal healthcare makes me want to pop some pills!

  • seanyo - "I knew Dan Quayle, and you Ms. Palin are no Dan Quayle."

  • skooljester - England here I come.

Really, before the debate, the Twitter effect was a curiosity. But afterwards, it was an marvelous addiction. This is not to say that Twitter users provided tremendous intellectual insights or political analysis; but only that it was spectacularly entertaining. It made both The Nerfherder Gal and I laugh a number of times... and when was the last time you could say that about a Vice Presidential debate?
  

1 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Cristina said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Kaylee

http://www.thinkpadonline.info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home