Wednesday, February 13, 2008

E-Nouncements...

The Nerfherder had some big personal news last night. In fact, it's somewhat amazing that I'm functional enough to be able to write at all today. But I am. Lucky you.

When the news was made, myself and the Nerfherder Gal began spreading the word. The process went exactly like this: text messages, Facebook posting, IMs, picture messages, emails, Twitter update, and finally, of course, a blog post.

Maybe even more amazing - this all seemed completely natural.

Social networks we create in real life are amplified tremendously online. Just in the past year, I learned about a brother's new girlfriend because he updated his MySpace profile to say "In a Relationship". I check in on friends' and family's babies by checking their pictures on Facebook. I follow a friend's travels on a boat sailing around the world by reading his blog.

Some people lament all this as symptomatic of the end of civilization. Admittedly, even I'm a little frightened. But when big events occur in our lives, those social networks we maintain online transform themselves from being an occasional nuisance filled with trivial information... to being essential.

And that's quite a revelation to those of us with more hermit-like tendencies ;-)
  

3 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger jonathan.sherry said...

I heard you gave her a hemp ring!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Rob Domanski said...

Doh, that would have been awesome!

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous BearDutch said...

I vote for a trip to Amsterdam for the bachelor party

 

Post a Comment

<< Home