Thursday, June 07, 2007

Life as a Computer Geek's Girlfriend...

The following is a post submitted by Nerfherder contributing author Marissa Fox, heretofore known as "The Nerfherder Gal".

I know there are some of you out there who can relate to having your anniversary calculated in hexadecimal, having at least two computers in your one-bedroom apartment, and having to figure out why Linux is better than Microsoft. It’s hard to slow your man down when he gets started about how evil iTunes is, and you still can’t understand where his anger towards Apple stems from. If your boyfriend has a blog, thinks "Joost" will take over the world, or believes in "open source" then you know what I’m talking about. The question is do you read his blog and "digg it" afterwards to show support? Do you believe that by clicking on the advertisements he will make enough money to possibly receive a check some day, and will hopefully spend that money on you? Do you look at his Linux machine with awe, every time he gets excited about a new feature he’s discovered? Or do we tune them out just a little bit?

Personally, my boyfriend, a.k.a The Nerfherder, can not hit a nail on the head with a hammer, doesn’t know how to paint a room, or do any other physical labor around the house. Those kind of tasks fall under my responsibilities. Though I’ve grown up around men who were considered "manly" for fixing, lifting, and building things, is my boyfriend "un-manly" because he can’t? OR is he more "manly" because he can solve the problems of tomorrow? We all know that computers are the way of the future, and he can de-bug, de-frag, and program C++ with the best of them. He may get disgruntled moving furniture, or lose his patience in the beginning stages of painting a room, but does that really matter? The question I pose to every one out there is: Are computer nerds the new high-powered, "manly" knights in shining armor of the future?
  

4 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If nerds are the new 'manly' man, I foresee the demise of mankind as we know it and women will have to evolve into being a-sexual.. some might say that this is a favorable outturn..

--Laura

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Marissa said...

We will just be the alpha-female!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Lady Gibbons said...

My GOD! Are you dating my husband?!?!?! Jesus I can't believe I understand EVERYTHING you're talking about and relate 200%. My husband isn't into sports or "do it yourself fix-it" projects but I don't consider him any less manly than the guy on muscle mag. or the ones on tool time. He's manly enough to bring enough money into the home to provide a good life for me and our daughter. I hit the jackpot, smart, sexy and with money ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home